Five Reasons Why President Buhari Should Reverse Twitter Ban
The PDP governors in a communique issued after a meeting on Monday, June 14 2021, in Uyo, Akwa Ibom state, gave reasons why the ban should be lifted.
- The governors said the ban on Twitter will worsen the country’s unemployment crisis, noting that the ban would hurt Nigerian youth who do not have adequate access to employment and have been relying on Twitter to earn a legitimate income.
- The PDP urged President Buhari to review the ban in the national interest.
- The governors stated that the reasons given by the government for the suspension of Twitter were personalised.
- According to the governors, social media regulation can only be done within the existing laws on the subject.
- The governor argued that the ban may be used as an attempt to punish or gag Nigerians from enjoying constitutionally guaranteed rights. Premium Times reported that the governors also expressed fear that the Buhari administration may be sliding into dictatorship.
FG says Twitter suspension to remain indefinitely
Meanwhile, a report by The Guardian newspaper indicates that despite widespread anger over the ban on Twitter use in Nigeria, the federal government is not ready to shift grounds. According to the report, a top government functionary squealed that the ban remains indefinite for now as the Buhari-led administration insists on using the opportunity to enforce social media regulation.