Manchester United Mason Greenwood Released on Bail
Manchester United forward, Mason Greenwood has now been released on bail after being held in custody and questioned over the alleged rape and assault of a young woman, Harriet Robson, police said on Wednesday.
The 20-year-old was arrested on Sunday after images and videos were posted online, and while he was still in custody on Tuesday he was further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill.
Greater Manchester Police have not named the footballer, but said: “A 20-year-old man arrested on Sunday January 30 2022 on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman has been released on bail pending further investigation.”
A spokeswoman for the force confirmed to AFP: “The man has been released on bail for everything.”
Within hours of the allegations appearing on Sunday, Greenwood, regarded as one of the rising stars of English football, was suspended from playing or training with United until further notice.
They issued a new statement following developments on Tuesday, saying: “Manchester United reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind.
“As previously communicated, Mason Greenwood will not train with, or play for, the club until further notice.”
Sportswear giant, Nike said it had suspended its deal with the player and video game company Electronic Arts said he had been removed from offline modes in FIFA 22.
Greenwood had signed a new deal in February 2021, keeping him at Old Trafford until at least 2025.