“National Festival Will Go Ahead as Planned”, Says Sunday Dare
Minister of Sports Development and Youth, Sunday Dare has said the 20th National Sports Festival billed for Edo State will go ahead as planned from April 2 to April 14.
He said this during a facility tour at the scheduled venue and meeting with the Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki, explaining that the 8,000 athletes and officials participating in the Games would go through all the necessary COVID-19 protocols.
Dare said the camp for the festival would open on April 2 while the official opening of the Games would be done by President Muhammadu Buhari on April 6, adding that the ministry was working with relevant health stakeholders to ensure that the COVID-19 safety protocols were observed.
“We are working closely with the PTF, NCDC and others to ensure that the necessary support we need in terms of vaccination of athletes, test kits will be available and are also toning down the number of athletes that would be participating from 14,000 to 8,000.
“I must thank the governor and his deputy for taking the lead on this,” he said.
On accommodation of athletes, he said the University of Benin had been secured to host the athletes.
“We have been able to get the University of Benin to host our athletes.
“There are still some work to be done here which may not be in the radar, but everything is on track. I can tell you with certainty that the Edo National Sports Festival will hold. This is our local Olympics and we shall make the most of it. The President has given his nod for the Festival to take place. There’s no going back” he said.
The Festival had suffered numerous postponement since last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic and paucity of funds.
Dare said that a special presentation will be made to President Buhari for funds to support Edo after the governor declared that the state lacked the resources to host the Festival.