Tyson Fury’s Fight With Deontay Wilder Allegedly Postponed Due to COVID-19
In a recent development, the much anticipated fight between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder scheduled for July 24 in Las Vegas, have been rescheduled as Tyson has tested positive to Covid-19.
The Gipsy King team had earlier on Thursday afternoon denied reports that his trilogy fight has been called off because of a Covid outbreak in the camp.
His promoter Top Rank said in a statement: “We continue to monitor the health status of Tyson and his team and the status of the event has not changed to date.”
Wilder’s team were also far from convinced by the report with coach Malik Scott saying: “We are getting ready to go to work right now and everything remains the same. We are not going for no bananas in the tail pipe.
“We are dealing with a fighter that I believe nothing he says. We are dealing with a fighter who says he is going to come in the ring at 300lbs. I don’t believe that.
“We are dealing with a fighter who says he and [Conor] McGregor are something like best friends and then McGregor says he doesn’t even know the guy. You just never know with Tyson”.
However, according to boxing reporter Dan Rafael, Fury has tested positive for the virus and as a result, the fight has been postponed, with an October date targeted.
His dad John claimed that a sparring partner had been the first to contract the virus.“I was shocked,” John Fury said. “You don’t want these things to happen. Apparently one of the sparring partners brought it in. He’s infected the full team. These things happen in life. He will have to reschedule.”